SubjectRe: CD-ROM + Modem = errrr...
[I've CC'd Andre Hedrick in because this is an IDE issue

during heavy I/O]

The drive is in DMA mode. The problem started a few weeks ago when a got a
new hard drive (Maxtor 13GB UDMA/33). For some reason, the kernel doesnt
turn on DMA automatically even though it is configured to, but I use
hdparm for it. If I run bonnie or do a similarly large i/o operation onto
/dev/hdc (the new maxtor drive), the machine freezes up randomly for a few
seconds at a time.

Jul 12 18:47:59 vitelus kernel: SIS5513: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev
09
Jul 12 18:47:59 vitelus kernel: SIS5513: not 100% native mode: will probe
irqs later

So obviously the controller is a SIS5513.

I used this hard drive for a few days on another system with a VIA IDE
controller (from /proc/pci: IDE interface: VIA Technologies VT 82C586
Apollo IDE (rev 6)), in both UDMA and interrupt-driven mode, in both
2.0.36 and 2.2.9 but didn't experience any similarly huge lockups. Kernel
version on this machine is 2.2.10-tmw1 (the tmw patch should not affect
the IDE at all). I never experienced any of these lockups using the old
hard drive.

[root@vitelus aaronl]# hdparm /dev/hdc
/dev/hdc:
multcount = 0 (off)
I/O support = 0 (default 16-bit)
unmaskirq = 0 (off)
using_dma = 1 (on)
keepsettings = 0 (off)
nowerr = 0 (off)
readonly = 0 (off)
readahead = 8 (on)
geometry = 25249/16/63, sectors = 25450992, start = 0

Should I try enabling unmaskirq?

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Mark Hahn wrote:

> > > Yes, try unmasking IRQ's on the CD-ROM with hdparm.
> >
> > Interesting, since my machine locks up for up to 10 seconds at a time
> > during heavy IDE activity, do you think this would help me too? The
> > manpage mentions that it is "dangerous".
>
> unless you have a rather old machine, your problem is probably
> just a misconfigration of ide. the "locking up" could only be
> due to an astonishingly slow, and large PIO IDE transaction. all
> hardware made in the past 5 years or so supports at least DMA mode,
> which runs at least 12 MB/s; you have to scrape to find anything
> that doesn't do UDMA these days.
>
> take a look at your disk/controller settings with hdparm.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.033 / U:1.348 seconds]