SubjectRe: Corruption bug in CPU, kernel or tar
> According to Dan Hollis:
> > Apparently some (most?) cdroms do some strange sort of stop-n-go jerking
> > of the ide bus when run in DMA mode, which can confuse the VP3/MVP3 IDE
> > controller leading to hard system lockups.
>
> Boy, is *that* the truth. Every time I try to enable DMA on the CD,
> hard lockup. This is with an NEC 4-CD changer *and* a Memorex CD-RW.
> (Epox motherboard.)

This is not just limited to Linux. Windows 98 will also lock up on occasion with the same chipset. (As well as for any other reason it can come up with.)

I am about ready to give up on VIA chipsets entirely. They have eaten up FAR too much of my time. (I have a Pentium II 400mhz with an Intel BX chipset and have had *no* trouble with it. And kernel compiles are almost so fast it appears broken!)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.066 / U:0.836 seconds]