    SubjectRe: Large disk partition over 300GB
    In <> Thierry Vignaud ( wrote:
    > Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

    >> Ofcourse you realize that setting -m to 1 or worse, 0, will result
    >> in a badly fragmented disk when it fills up and really bad performance.
    >> The reason that 5% of disk space is reserved is to always have some
    >> room left. The ext2 allocation algorithm needs this to prevent fragmentation.

    > I think the main reason is to let the sysadmin to fix the system in case
    > of problem and to prevent users from filling all the free space. A lot
    > of utilities need free space for temporary files. How do you edit a conf
    > file if there is no room ?

    And utilities can NOT use this free space :-)) And you can NOT use this room
    for conf files editing (unless you are root, of course)... No, main reason is
    to give ext2fs defragmentation algorithm space to breathe.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.019 / U:5.244 seconds]