SubjectRe: [Mason] editComp and other questions

On 12-Jul-99 Mark Schmick wrote:
> Hi Dirk,
>
> I was out of town this weekend, and didn't see this message until today.
> With interest in Content Management finally picking up, I guess I'll
> tear myself away from my beloved MP3 project and spend an evening with
> it.
>
> I thought I'd corrected the ..
> my ($d, $d, $d, $mday, $mon, $year) = localtime();
>
> with a ..
> my ($d1, $d2, $d3, $mday, $mon, $year) = localtime();

And so you had - but not there (you [nearly] do it twice :-). I have taken
the liberty of changing the date formats in my copy to "12 Jul 1999" format
'cos I am european.

> but I suppose it didn't make it into the released version. Thanks for
> the tip later in this thread about assigning to undef -- I just really
> wish I could do it all with one my'ed assignment!
>
> I'll take a look at the memory consumption issues tonight as well. On my
> own machine (Linux kernel 2.0.36), my "top" report only grows a little
> between a fresh Mason server and some hits to CM. If you had a specific
> action that causes the httpds to expand, I'd love to know about it:

My, obviously excessively veiled, point is that either there is some
difference in 'top' or else it seems that an apache process can occupy 1 1/2
times as virtual memory on 2.2.10 as it does on 2.0.3[67](~24Mb -> ~10Mb).
Further, on my machine and on my copy of apache 1.3.6 + mod_perl 1.21, if I
terminate the httpd server it will panic the kernel in 2.2.10.

I don't have sufficient time to track down the exact cause of this, but just
as a guess, I suspect this has something to do with the fact that the virtual
memory consumed (even though it is nearly all shared) is actually greater
than the physical memory + available swap space. Under 2.2.10 I had 11
servers (1 + 10) each about 25Mb of which 24Mb was shared. Add to that a copy
of netscape, gnome, a few rxvts and X on 128Mb RAM + 128Mb swap machine (even
though it isn't showing as using any much swap) you have over 300Mb of
'shared' RAM. I suspect this might have something to do with it.

Regards

Dirk
---
Dirk-Jan Koopman, Tobit Computer Co Ltd
At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will find
at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.027 / U:0.340 seconds]