SubjectRe: [Call For Wartectomy] CRLF conversion out of kernel
Date
In article <linux.kernel.Pine.GSO.4.10.9907130901550.15189-100000@weyl.math.psu.edu>,
Alexander Viro <viro@math.psu.edu> wrote:

> JarJar Binks^W^WSupport for CRLF<->LF translation in the kernel
>must die. Unless somebody has damn good reasons for preserving this
>bogosity I'm going to exterminate the bloody thing. It is guilty in:
> a) breaking mmap() semantics.
> b) breaking lseek() semantics.
> c) breaking write() semantics.
> d) being bloody slow, painful and kludgy.
> e) making FAT support with the new page cache hard.
> f) confusing the hell of unaware victims^Wusers.
> g) bringing the list of magical filename extensions into the kernel.
> h) belonging to userland *and* being already implemented there.
>If somebody has really convincing arguments for preserving the sucker -
>tell. Otherwise it will die.

Taking it out may kill backwards compatability.

#ifdef all the offending bits with

#ifdef TOO_CLEVER_FOR_ITS_OWN_GOOD
#endif

And then the paranoid can leave it in, while the people who find it
mortally offensive can leave it out.

I screamed bloody murder when this crackpot idea was first
implemented, but, alas, it's in now, and even the grotty things in
the standard kernel should remain.

____
david parsons \bi/ Leave it as a lesson to the others.
\/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.027 / U:0.220 seconds]