    SubjectRe: [RFC] - Some notions that I would like comments on
    Jeff Dike wrote:
    > > 2. Most applications will look at data as soon as it's read from the
    > > disk -- so you probably won't get much of a performance advantage
    > What I had in mind are things like compilers which go chugging
    > sequentially through a file and do expensive stuff on it (like
    > parsing). It ought to be pretty easy for the I/O to stay ahead of the
    > parse, and maybe a useful amount of parsing can be done before the
    > data all comes in.

    This is done already and automatically -- it's called readahead.
    The kernel detects when you're reading sequentially and then
    reads ahead.

    We don't do it on mmaped areas yet though.

    -- Jamie

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.020 / U:0.044 seconds]