    SubjectRe: RECOVERY: partition table
    > I found block lengths etc of my partitions... I accidentally blew away
    > my partition table (fd0!=hda) and unfortunately I have no way to do a
    > backup and so have little. The system is still up and running. Is
    > there anyway I can recreate exactly the same partition table?
    Yes.
    > I imagine
    > all the information is in /proc, but I can't find it.
    cat /proc/partitions

    This gives the partition sizes. It may not be enough as you don't
    get the exact placement, but it worked for me when I did exactly the
    same thing. I used fdisk and recreated my partitions in order
    and with exactly the same sizes. Note that cfdisk will want to
    start the first partition on a cylinder bounddary,
    while fdisk can start on a track boundary. The latter was necessary
    in my case, as an NT partition started on the second track
    on the first cylinder.

    Before you reboot, make sure you have a linux boot floppy with
    fdisk on it. A debian install/rescue diskette is ok.
    You can then rery if your first attempt goes wrong.

    Helge Hafting

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.071 / U:91.228 seconds]