SubjectRe: interrupt handling w/o handler?
Jes Sorensen wrote:

> Jeff> Is there a function available to drivers that allows something
> Jeff> like: ... interruptible_sleep_on_irq (9); /* wait on IRQ 9 */
..
> You have to register a handler for thaat, otherwise how are you
> guaranteed that the interrupt is handled and the hardware doesn't keep
> reasserting the same interrupt over and over again.

I think Jeff might be looking for a function such as:

interruptable_sleep_on_irq(n):
-- allocate unused irq(n), bind in generic_irqhandler(n)
-- save PID in wakeuptable(n)
-- unmask irq(n)
-- sleep until woken up by generic_irqhandler(n)
-- deallocate irq(n)
-- exit

generic_irqhandler(n):
-- permanently mask irq(n)
-- wakeup(wakeuptable(n))
-- exit

Those two functions could then be made available to user-level
either through /proc or a newsyscall, thereby permitting *user-level*
interrupt handling ("virtual device drivers" from userland).

Wow!
--
mlord@pobox.com