SubjectRe: AMIGA will use Linux, but Linux has several "multimedia-deficiencies"
On Sat, Jul 10, 1999 at 12:15:46PM -0400, Alexander Viro wrote:

> > But IRIX seems to be monolithic and handles realtime content quite well.
>
> Erm... First of all, RT != microkernel. And IIRC IRIX runs on boxen with
> very smart periphs.

Little of IRIX's RT capabilities have to do with smart hardware. They
offer POSIX RT stuff similar to Linux, RT file I/O on RT subvolumes of
XFS filesystems and sysmp(2) which allows to assign cpu(s) exclusivly
to certain processes, disable interrupt processing on them etc. such that
they are exclusivly running the application process. Actually the
latter is a solution which is suprisingly effective for relativly small
cost; it may be favourable for many cases to have something like this
in Linux and not RT-Linux.

Ralf

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.156 / U:0.128 seconds]