    SubjectRe: The stability crisis
    On Thu, Jul 01, 1999 at 05:20:36PM -0400, Anthony Barbachan wrote:

    > How about dumping to the swap partition along with a special sequence of
    > bytes used as a flag. This way when the machine is brought back up the
    > kernel can then use that special sequence of bytes along with the debug data
    > to generate a bug report.

    Although I kind of like this "feature," if your OS is wigging out, there
    are no guarantees that you're actually writing data to the swap partition.
    Especially if it's a driver problem, you might end up writing junk to
    your root partition, blowing away your parition table, or worse.

    I do think something like this would be nice to have as an _option_ for
    the adventurous. I certainly find it useful from time to time on my
    NetBSD boxes.

    ----
    Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | agrier@poofy.goof.com
    "I hear that if you win, you get a free probe by aliens."
    -- Bill Coldwell, regarding the SETI@home project

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.018 / U:15.620 seconds]