SubjectStandard for module delivery

After seeing the various rants about interface changes and compatibility
and so on and so forth, I have an ongoing nit that seems should be taken
care of.

My problem is that I (my employer included) support Linux drivers for our
various boards. Hell, we start there and do NT later, when development
is stabilized. I write module-only drivers (Linux and NT) and I see no
reason to expect the linux source tar bundle to include my driver.

However, that leads me to the problem of how to properly and portably make
binary and source rpms, not to mention makefiles.

It's not like we are trying to hide the source. On the contrary, we
GPL the driver code and some of it has even been seen on this very list.
However, I still want to make a binary RPM that a customer can download
(or a src rpm) and have the customer reasonably expect to be able to
install that driver module.

Even if binary rpms are banned, I can't seem to make a working *src* rpm
with a driver because of the following problems:

1) Compiler parameters have to be guessed. If there were an includeable
make header file that sets kernel mode compile options that would
be great. I support Intel and alpha ('cause that's what I have)
and need to guess different compiler flags for each.

2) Where do I install the module? The "make modules_install" of the
kernel source uses one convention, the redhat kernels use another,
I'm afraid to ask what the other distributions do. Can't we just
pick a place and use that?

I think that these are very much kernel issues because it relates to how
driver writers directly interface with the kernel internals. Even the
open source products need a way to interface with the compilation environment
of the kernel.

I'm willing under Linux to require a C compiler be installed, but I'm sure
many developers would like to see a standard means to support external
source modules. If I can make rpms that a linux user can install, I will
be happy.
--
Steve Williams "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
steve@icarus.com But I have promises to keep,

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.165 / U:0.020 seconds]