    SubjectRe: The stability crisis
    On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, Matthew Vanecek wrote:
    > That's pretty much been my experience. 2.2.10 crashes on a regular
    > basis. Certainly more than previous kernels. Why? Who's to say? It
    > leaves behind no information. Nothing in the logs, nothing in dmesg
    > (which changes with each boot up, anyhow). There's no way to try the
    > magic SysRq key, as the keyboard is completely locked up. I can't
    > telnet/ssh/ftp/ping the box, as it evidently stops processing all
    > network requests. In short, there is absolutely no indication, not the
    > slightest oops or byte left over, to even begin to give the inkling of a
    > clue about why the system crashed.

    i've seen the same problem on a quad Dell PE6300 running stock 2.2.9 (no
    quotas, egcs-built, AIC7xxx SCSI driver). the machine hangs solid. i
    haven't had a chance to poke around to see what's up; we just started
    seeing these a few days ago, and it's a test machine.

    having a nice integrated kernel debugger like SGI's kdb would be great
    to resolve problems like these. the patch to dump an oops to a floppy is
    also good, but would it be possible to dump it to a file or a small
    partition on an internal disk instead? Linus, including a feature like
    that would make it a whole lot easier to get high quality oops reports to

    - Chuck Lever
    corporate: <>
    personal: <> or <>

    The Linux Scalability project:

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.021 / U:36.160 seconds]