    SubjectRe: Profanity in the Linux Kernel?!?!?
    In article <>,
    Scott Jaderholm <> wrote:
    >I hope that I do not offend too many people.
    > cd /usr/src/linux ; grep -i fuck `find . -name '*.[ch]'`

    I'll just re-iterate my standpoint on this before it gets out of hand..

    Profanity and bad taste can be fine. It's usually not a problem, and the
    only cases where it should be =really= avoided is in messages to the
    user that aren't absolutely lethal this-should-not-ever-happen kind.

    But I feel that trying to be too politically correct is a much worse
    disease than =any= amount of profanity, and I'm personally much happier
    seeing the output of a grep like the above than I would be trying to
    clean it up in the name of PC.

    That means, for example, that I won't accept cleanup-patches from
    anybody else than the maintainers of the specific subsystems. And I
    won't do the cleanup myself. I _might_ reject a patch because I felt is
    was too foul-mouthed, but to be quite frank I don't think I have ever
    done so.

    So don't worry. People have sometimes worried that it is
    "unprofessional" to use profanity, but if you think professionals don't
    swear you've either been living in a monestary or playing golf your
    whole life ;)

    I'll start worrying when the profanities start to occupy a noticeable
    amount of kernel space.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.019 / U:48.412 seconds]