SubjectRe: Devfs, was Re: Migrating to larger numbers
On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, CaT wrote:

> > > The symlinks would be put under /dev/cd. And it's only ever going to
> > > have a few entries because I can't imagine many different interface
> > > types being implemented.
> > >
> > > Now, if you *really* care, you can have devfsd create the symlinks in
> > > /dev/cd as each interface type is loaded. Personally, I wouldn't
> > > bother.
> >
> > I can understand that, and thinking back on it, the question
> > really is, of what use is this? It does seem somewhat silly and
> > cluttering things that don't really need to be... The
> > for cd in /dev/*/cd solution (Provided that layout never changes)
> > seems simple enough to me...
> >
> > I realize you didn't initially request this, so I'm not trying
> > to ask you what use this is, but rather the list. :)
>
> Well someone made a comment that it's not really convenient from a code
> point of view (rather then script) so I made the suggestion of /dev/cd.
>
> This way you have it even simpler and you know for a fact that everything
> in there refers to a cd and as such don't need to search through dirs that
> don't have anything to do with what you're looking for.

Well, the point being that it could Very easily be done in
user-space w/ a script, something in rc.local or similar.

> I'm on my... 3rd or 4th cup of coffee. Hope that made sense. :)

Well, it makes sense, it just isn't so much a devfs/kernel issue. :)

Stephen

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.202 / U:0.116 seconds]