SubjectRe: Devfs, was Re: Migrating to larger numbers
Stephen Frost writes:
> On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Richard Gooch wrote:
>
> > The symlinks would be put under /dev/cd. And it's only ever going to
> > have a few entries because I can't imagine many different interface
> > types being implemented.
> >
> > Now, if you *really* care, you can have devfsd create the symlinks in
> > /dev/cd as each interface type is loaded. Personally, I wouldn't
> > bother.
>
> I can understand that, and thinking back on it, the question
> really is, of what use is this? It does seem somewhat silly and
> cluttering things that don't really need to be... The
> for cd in /dev/*/cd solution (Provided that layout never changes)
> seems simple enough to me...

Indeed.

> I realize you didn't initially request this, so I'm not trying
> to ask you what use this is, but rather the list. :)

Sigh. Thank you. As long as the mechanisms are provided, that's all I
care about. I've been trying to point out these mechanisms in various
threads, but people seem to get mired down in detail rather than the
bigger picture. The names and details don't matter. What matters is
the infrastructure.

Regards,

Richard....

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.132 / U:0.464 seconds]