    SubjectRe: Devfs, was Re: Migrating to larger numbers
    > > What /dev admin maintenance?  Perhaps my machines don't have enough disks,
    > > but I have never needed to perform significant work in /dev.
    >
    > If you install a distribution that supports 100 SCSI discs, you need
    > 1600 entries in /dev just for that. If you decide you'll never have
    > more than 4 SCSI discs, you're free to delete the entries you don't

    Nod.

    Once you are managing large storage arrays you need a saner naming system.
    Not devfs though, although you can build it over devfs just fine - you
    end up needing mount by uuid/volume name. Anything else is just plain
    horrible to manage updates.

    devfs is an extremely clean solution to a problem. Im just not 100% sure
    its the right solution or the right problem. Its certainly in the right
    ballpark

    Alan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.023 / U:60.356 seconds]