    SubjectRe: Devfs, was Re: Migrating to larger numbers
    On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Paul Jakma wrote:

    > devfs is a good thing. I and all the rest who have tried it and use it
    > regularly think so.

    And those of us who tried it and decided that it's the wrong solution to a
    set of non-problems think otherwise.

    > It's compatible, it's clean, it eliminates /dev admin maintenance.

    What /dev admin maintenance? Perhaps my machines don't have enough disks,
    but I have never needed to perform significant work in /dev.

    Another spin: if/when we see ACLs in the kernel/ext[23] I could easily
    find uses for them in /dev. Will devfs support ACLs at least as soon as
    ext2?

    > And it works really well.

    I can believe that.

    Matthew.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.022 / U:1.088 seconds]