SubjectRe: Preparations for ZD's upcoming Apache/Linux benchmark
Hi Dan, et al -- please add pankaj_chowdhry@zd.com and
henry_baltazar@zd.com to your threads. They are doing the bulk of PC Week's
portion of the work for this test.

Thanks -

John Taschek
Lab Director, PC Week

06/08/99 12:37:00 AM ----------

To: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
cc: John Taschek, bruce@mindcraft.com, new-httpd@apache.org,
linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject: Re: Preparations for ZD's upcoming Apache/Linux benchmark

Alan Cox wrote:
> Of course nobody has addressed the problem that Apache is optimised for
> the real world not benchmarks and that its not the right server to use
> for a benching exercise with the rather poor benchmark tools used today.

Yes, and Apache 2.0 will no doubt be more optimized for this kind of
benchmark.
On the other hand, these benchmarks aren't meaningless. Each
bottleneck they run into might be a real-world bottleneck for
some application. In fact, all of the improvements I list
in http://www.kegel.com/mindcraft_redux.html appear to
have been made in the course of normal Linux development.

Improving Apache+Linux's performance on these silly benchmarks
has thus been a side effect of useful stuff.
- Dan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.030 / U:0.044 seconds]