SubjectRe: [patch] fix for SMP stuck on IPI-TLB-flush [Re: 2.2.9-ac2 locks solid]
On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Ingo Molnar wrote:

>this is rather unsafe - you might end up hiding a 'real' NMI. This was one

I am not sure. Even if we are doing the tlb_flush in the "real" NMI, then
we'll genarate in software a secondary NMI that will behave as the "real"
NMI. If the NMI would be level triggered I don't think we could hide a
"real" NMI, but the NMI is edge triggered so I am not sure. What do you
think? Could we ever miss a NMI because is edge triggered? (btw are
the hardware-generated NMI edge triggered too? If so we could miss an NMI
even from the hardware!)

Even if it would be possible to miss a `real' NMI
the window is so not reproducible in real life and when you get
an NMI from the hardware you are so buggy (I suppose an NMI can be generated
only from an hardware _error_) that it's _not_ a real issue according to me.

Andrea Arcangeli

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.068 / U:0.080 seconds]