SubjectRe: Byte blasts Linux?
> http://www.byte.com/columns/servinglinux/1999/06/0607servinglinux4.html
>
> In this article they say that Linux has 10% less performance when
> operating without swap even if it's not in use.
>
> The doesn't agree with my expirences.. Any comments?

If you are just pushing into the point where shuffling few pages off is
useful then you would see this. If not then you wouldn't. Remember that
if you have no swap Linux is still swapping read only pages back off
disk and discarding them when you have "no swap".

If you really do see a speed up by adding an unused swap then it will
be interesting to verify it and find out why.

The general stuff I'm vaguely dubious about. We are definitely worse than BSD in
stupidly overloaded situations, but our mm subsystem doesn't pay the same
housekeeping penalties for that case that they do on properly specced boxes.

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.059 / U:1.044 seconds]