SubjectRe: TCP/PPP bug 2.3.5?
On Sun, 6 Jun 1999, Rik van Riel wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Jun 1999, John Hayward-Warburton wrote:
> > On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Rik van Riel wrote:
>
> > > Since this bug _really_ kills my internet connectivity,
> > > as far as uploading or sending large messages goes, I
> > > really hope somebody will find the bug soon...
> >
> > Yes, that's it. Had it since late 2.1.x on this kernel with ISDN
> > PPP in modular form. The problem goes away for a few hours when I
> > unload the modules but, as in your case, I can't upload large
> > files while it persists.
>
> Are the network guys even interested in this problem?
> I haven't seen any reaction from them in this thread :(

I've been looking at a similar set of symptoms which sounds like it could
be the same problem. Ever since I upgraded to 2.2/2.3 kernels (about two
months ago) throughput between my two boxen on a private ethernet segment
has dropped by a factor of over 100 from almost half a MB to just a few KB
per second. tcpdump shows only a few packets per second and ifconfig
shows 1 carrier error about every 2 seconds on the tx side and the same
number of frame errors on the rx side. The send queue on the tx side gets
filled to capacity and stays there until the transfer is complete. I
think this is a network stack problem and not a hardware problem because
ping -f gets 0% packet loss (one run lost 10 packets out of 60,000). This
only happens with bulk transfer, interactive sessions are perfectly fine.

-Nate