    Subject[announce] Linux Input Driver suite version 0.1.0

    I've just released the first really useable version of the new
    Linux Input Drivers, a suite of drivers that intends to make
    handling of devices like keyboards, mice and joysticks simpler
    in Linux.

    It tries to get rid of all the old cruft and dust that has gathered
    in the keyboard and mouse drivers present in the kernel, and I
    think it is quite useful in doing that.

    A couple of immediate advantages you'll see after installing it:

    * If you have a Logitech M-S48 mouse, the wheel will work.
    * If you have a 3-button serial MouseSystems mouse, it'll
    have twice as fast updates when using the drivers than when you
    let GPM or X talk to it directly.
    * The Pause key repeat works
    * You can have an XT or Sun keyboard attached to your PC
    * No more mouse problems when switching to and from X
    * You can unplug and re-plug AT keyboards and PS/2 mice, and they
    will keep working, and won't loose the LED and autorepeat settings
    * You plug any mouse in your computer, be it PS/2, Serial, USB,
    or busmouse, and you get an emulated /dev/psaux, allowing for
    a simpler configuration

    There are more of benefits for the future, like allowing easy
    multihead support, easy transition to the bus & hotplug scheme
    described by Martin Mares earlier.

    The only two drawback of these patches I see:

    * integrating PS/2 and Serial mouse decoding routines into the kernel, but
    because those are rather small in size I think its way worth it.

    * The large size of the patch (14000 lines), that comes from rewriting
    drivers from scratch and moving them around in the directory tree.

    I'm very interested in opinions, and, success/failure reports
    on these patches.

    Have fun,

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.020 / U:33.180 seconds]