SubjectRe: Now who does cause this ???
Hi Matthew.

>>> Somebody (likely in Sweden) is resending all their incoming
>>> email to some gateway address, but the writers of that gateway
>>> are truly morons, and they send the error reports to WRONG
>>> address.

>> The problem is that the software doing the bouncing CORRECTLY
>> replies to the FROM address on the email it's bouncing, as
>> that's the only originating address it has available.

> Wrong. It is (AFAIK) never correct for an MTA to use a From:
> address for any purpose.

Who's referring to the "From: " address? I was referring to the
"From " address (ie, the ENVELOPE FROM address) that says where the
mail came from, and certainly if I was to write software to bounce an
email, that's where I would expect to bounce it to.

> That's why majordomo inserts a
> and any MTA ignoring that is broken.

You can presumably explain why your message to linux-kernel (the one
I'm replying to right now) has no such line in its headers, even
though the "Received" chain clearly shows that it went through vger
on its way here?

>> My solution is to bounce the error message to the list owner of
>> the mailing list I posted to that caused the bounce, and most
>> list owners promptly delete the offender's subscription...

> Matti /is/ the list owner and the point of his message was to
> point out that some brain-dead person behind a brain-dead MTA
> has broken their linux-kernel subscription.

If so, his wording is best described as "unfortunate".

My reading of his message was that he was asking how best to deal with
one particular site that was bouncing emails he'd written to a mailing
list that had one particular person thereon as a subscriber. In my
experience, the ONLY answer to that is to unsubscribe the said person
from the mailing list, and leave them to sort out their resubscription
as and when.

If one really wants to exhaust every contact avenue, one could always
email postmaster@wherever and hope it (a) doesn't bounce, and (b) is
read by a human being rather than the usual auto-responder software.
It's years since I met a postmaster account that qualified.

Best wishes from Riley.