    SubjectRe: 2.3 wish: integrate pcmcia into mainstream kernel
    Followup to:  <>
    By author: Linus Torvalds <>
    In newsgroup:
    > On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Constantine Gavrilov wrote:
    > >
    > > Nfs install over plip (parallel cabel) works just fine. (It is an
    > > ordinary nfs install when one chooses "plip" for the NIC driver.) I've
    > > installed Linux on several laptops this way at installation parties.
    > > All you need is a hard drive, parallel port, and ability to boot the
    > > kernel.
    > Ehh, at least the VAIO doesn't even have a parallel port.
    > Look at the new machines some day: they avoid connectors like the plague,
    > because they take a lot of space. The VAIO, for example, has a USB port,
    > and it's assumed that printers, mice, floppies etc are all connecting to
    > just that one port.
    > It doesn't even have a serial port, but it _does_ have a built-in modem
    > and a modular telephone jack connector.
    > Which all really makes sense when you think about it. I applaud the Sony
    > engineers for doing good technical choices that result in a really small
    > and nice laptop. And it's a nice laptop to use.
    > It's just horribly hard to install ;)

    Interesting question: Can you boot off a USB port, preferrably one
    connected to another computer?

    "The user's computer downloads the ActiveX code and simulates a 'Blue
    Screen' crash, a generally benign event most users are familiar with
    and that would not necessarily arouse suspicions."
    -- Security exploit description on

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.022 / U:33.912 seconds]