SubjectRe: 2.3 wish: integrate pcmcia into mainstream kernel
Date
Followup to:  <Pine.LNX.3.95.990603085438.3981F-100000@penguin.transmeta.com>
By author: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Constantine Gavrilov wrote:
> >
> > Nfs install over plip (parallel cabel) works just fine. (It is an
> > ordinary nfs install when one chooses "plip" for the NIC driver.) I've
> > installed Linux on several laptops this way at installation parties.
> > All you need is a hard drive, parallel port, and ability to boot the
> > kernel.
>
> Ehh, at least the VAIO doesn't even have a parallel port.
>
> Look at the new machines some day: they avoid connectors like the plague,
> because they take a lot of space. The VAIO, for example, has a USB port,
> and it's assumed that printers, mice, floppies etc are all connecting to
> just that one port.
>
> It doesn't even have a serial port, but it _does_ have a built-in modem
> and a modular telephone jack connector.
>
> Which all really makes sense when you think about it. I applaud the Sony
> engineers for doing good technical choices that result in a really small
> and nice laptop. And it's a nice laptop to use.
>
> It's just horribly hard to install ;)

Interesting question: Can you boot off a USB port, preferrably one
connected to another computer?

-hpa
--
"The user's computer downloads the ActiveX code and simulates a 'Blue
Screen' crash, a generally benign event most users are familiar with