Subject2.2.x instabilities
hi-

I am writing to ask (beg) that work continue on stabilizing 2.2.x
series kernels before diverting valuable resources to 2.3.x. Traffic
on this list is an indication that we still have some work to do.

In comparison to the 2.0.3x series, 2.2.x is not quite ready for
production use. I have several systems that have been running under
2.0.3x continuously for nearly a year, whereas I'm lucky to get a week
on any 2.2.x system (and I have many).

I'm not calling anybody names, or placing blame, but we need to do
better if we want the Linux movement to continue in such a positive
direction. Remember, NT 5.0 is still bubbling in the redmond kitchens,
and they are going to come out fighting. Admittedly its not our only
concern, but MS plays dirty.....

2.2.x still has problems with:

* NFS. old user-space NFS still works, kernel-space is hosed major.
There are problems with timeouts, crashes, stale handles, error
messages, code warnings.......

* swap issues.

* networking instabilities.

* NCP (novell) clients are iffy. I can break it in minutes.

* SMP is still 'delicate'.

* SMP/Alpha threads/mutexes are unstable.

* kernel sources often generate errors/warnings. We can do a LOT
better here.

* kernel crashes/oops's. I NEVER got one of these with 2.0.x kernels.

These are all issues that MS can play upon. Most of this stuff can be
caught with better testing practices in a short time. I feel this
should be done before chasing after the shiny new 2.3.x rainbow.

In spite of all I've said here, I still feel that Linux is far superior
to anything else out there, and I'll continue to use, promote, and
develop it for the foreseeable future...

ron

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.089 / U:0.020 seconds]