    SubjectRe: Large tmp files, async flush and still lots of I/O?

    DC> Your belief that this shouldn't happen if the file has already
    DC> been deleted sounds reasonable. I think the reason it doesn't work
    DC> is due to Unix unlink semantics. To be precise, unlink() does
    DC> _not_ delete a file. Rather, a file is deleted when unlink() has
    DC> been used sucessfully on all its names and all processes have
    DC> closed it. Thus, technically, in your example, the file has not
    DC> been deleted, so the kernel is right to commit it to disk. Of
    DC> course, there is probably no way to establish new links (names)
    DC> for the file, so this is sort of silly.

    It seems it would be nice to have an "don't commit" flag. That would
    be set when no process could ever get access to data after a reboot.
    Pages that are always "don't commit" should not get sent to disk
    unless there is a shortage of memory.

    This would actually be a nice way to get lots of shared memory -- no
    problem with needing swap for it, and the performance would be as good
    as shared anonymous mappings.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.020 / U:89.124 seconds]