SubjectRe: Idea: Network RAID == Distributed FS
Hi!

> > > By combining two existing features, network filesystem*(eg NFS, SMB?),
> > > and RAID , it should be possible to setup a raid system over a network
> > > instead of over /dev/hdxx or /dev/sxx (whatever scsi is) with minimal
> > > effort as compared to doing a DFS from scratch, or without kernel level
> > > support . The advantages i see in this method are.
>
> > You can use the network block device driver (nbd) to do RAID over a
> > network.
>
> I have been wanting to try this for some time. Primarily for RAID1
> mirroring. Is NBD reliable enough and how is the performance?

Reliable enough yes, not sure about performance but for raid1 it
should be ok. AFAICS there's nothing performance critical when you use
raid1 -- unless you plan to write _lots_ of data real fast.
Pavel
--
I'm really pavel@ucw.cz. Look at http://195.113.31.123/~pavel. Pavel