SubjectRe: fs corruption with pre-2.3.9-5 + this little patch
Date
Once upon a time, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> said:
>On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 roel@grobbebol.xs4all.nl wrote:
>> I assume still nobody has a clue why on the 2.2.xx series FS corruption
>> occurs ?
>
>That's correct. There seems to be _some_ correlation with the aic7xxx
>driver, but even that's so weak that it might just be that it just shows
>up a lot because it is so popular. There's certainly a stronger
>correlation with overclocking and overheating ;)

I've had problems under both 2.2.9 and 2.2.10, and I don't overclock.
Also, I don't think my system is overheating (I've got a PC Power &
Cooling "Turbo Cool" power supply and extra fans in the case). I've got
an old 3.5" half-height Seagate Barracuda in the case, but it doesn't
seem to be too hot if I open the case and feel it.

I have been using "egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)" to
compile my kernel (that's what comes with Red Hat 6.0). I've seen that
maybe that is a problem, but right now (and I hate to say this since I
know my problem won't get fixed this way), I just don't have time to
"fiddle" since this is my work system, and I've lost too much time this
month as it is having to re-install Linux. I've just stuck with 2.2.5
compiled with egcs, since it works.

When you work in a company that is a Microsoft Certified Solution
Provider, Technical Education Center, and more, there is a lot of
pressure to switch to Windows if your system has trouble and you're
running Linux. I can't afford to have Linux fail again right now;
someone might re-format my hard drive while I'm out of the office! :-)
--
Chris Adams <cadams@ro.com> - System Administrator
Renaissance Internet Services - IBS Interactive, Inc.