SubjectRe: 2.3 wish: integrate pcmcia into mainstream kernel
Hi David.

>> Another combination that's near enough impossible to install
>> Linux on is a system with one or more EIDE hard drives, but with
>> only SCSI CD drives. On all the distributions I've tried, this
>> combination doesn't even come close to working - usually, the
>> system gets stuck in a loop where it needs to access the CD
>> drive to read the driver needed to access the CD drive.

> I have done this with slackware with no problems.

> Slackware does require that you boot from a floppy and pick the
> image tht supports your hardware, but once you have done that it
> is clear sailing.

I have to admit that my only experience of Slackware goes back to when
I first came across Linux, when a friend loaned me his Slackware
installation set. I was less than amused when my attempts to install
it resulted in a message informing me that my Intel P166 was an
invalid processor!!!

Shortly after that, Personal Computer World magazine included a full
RedHat Linux 4.1 installation on their cover CD, and that installed
like a charm, with no problems whatsoever, and with very little
thinking necessary on my part - I believe the most technical question
I had to answer related to my keyboard layout.

With the exception of the system referred to in your quote above, I
have never had any problems with RedHat Linux, and I've used 4.1, 5.0,
5.1, 5.2 and 6.0 installations, and for that reason, I have in general
stayed with RedHat.

Best wishes from Riley.