    SubjectRe: 2.3 wish: integrate pcmcia into mainstream kernel
    > And no, a network install doesn't work either. The network card is
    > (surprise surprise) behind the cardbus bridge. MAYBE I could have set up a
    > ppp install over the serial line (the machine I did this on is not one of
    > the winmodem ones), although I have no clue whether anybody supports that,
    > and quite frankly I don't ever want to find out.

    > Sure, maybe there's a third and even better way of installing Linux on one
    > of these things. I couldn't come up with one. I'd love to hear how you'd
    > do it - any tricks are acceptable, even recompiling a special kernel on
    > another machine and booting from a BIOS-only floppy. Burning your own
    > custom installation CD-ROM with a custom initrd etc is _not_ an acceptable
    > solution, I'm afraid.

    Nfs install over plip (parallel cabel) works just fine. (It is an
    ordinary nfs install when one chooses "plip" for the NIC driver.) I've
    installed Linux on several laptops this way at installation parties.
    All you need is a hard drive, parallel port, and ability to boot the
    kernel. The only problem with this is that the PLIP driver is a real
    CPU eater -- during the install the CPU usage crops up to 90-95% on
    the nfs server. (Just an aestetic issue really, there are not many
    servers with two parallel ports available.)

    Theoretically, one can install via a serial null cable using ppp.
    Currently this would have to be done by hand -- one needs to include
    pppd into the ram disk and manually start it form a virtual console
    (or change the installation program to include ppp install option).
    There would be no CPU usage issues with this, however the speed would
    be 4 times slower (15-16Kbytes/sec as opposed to 60-64Kbytes/sec for
    the parallel port).

    Constantine Gavrilov
    Unix System Administrator and Programmer
    Yavne 81102, Israel
    Phone: (972-8)-942-3064
    Fax: (972-8)-942-3800

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.021 / U:9.004 seconds]