SubjectRe: 2.3 wish: integrate pcmcia into mainstream kernel
Hi!

> > We have the technology, if it
> > weren't for the fact that our cardbus support sucks and needs user space
> > (which we won't have until after we've mounted the CD - so right now
> > you're kind of in a catch-22 situation).
>
> ["bite me" response deleted]
>
> I'm sorry that you think my PCMCIA implementation sucks. I thought
> that all major distributions now were module based, in which case,
> PCMCIA makes things only trivially more complicated. And all major

Not everyone uses module. I hate my notebook not be able to work
without modules.

> distributions already do implement PCMCIA installs in some fashion, so
> they all offer counterexamples to your catch-22. Do you really want a
> database of card configuration information in the kernel? As far as

Yes. Last time I saw database was not that big, and if every driver
carries list of cards it can handle with it (like it currently does
for PCI), I see nothing wrong.

I could do things like have floppy with kernel only (it is _very_ easy
to put kernel on floppy, but it is pretty hard to create working
initrd) and then use nfsroot, or have floppy with kernel only and then
boot from cdrom, or... And instalation would not take two days...

Pavel
--
The best software in life is free (not shareware)! Pavel
GCM d? s-: !g p?:+ au- a--@ w+ v- C++@ UL+++ L++ N++ E++ W--- M- Y- R+