    SubjectRe: 2.3 wish: integrate pcmcia into mainstream kernel
    Hi David.

    >> If I could butt in for a second. Linus's solution is not right,
    >> in my humble opinion, but the problem he identifies needs a good
    >> solution better than "not many people have this problem".

    > I never meant to give that implication. I object to Linus' claim
    > that these sorts of installations are unsupported because they
    > are too hard to do in the current PCMCIA architecture. It's a
    > simple space issue: adding PCMCIA to an initrd, when you're
    > already committed to the initrd framework, is not rocket
    > science. That doesn't mean it is a non-issue.

    Since you appear to at least be willing to discuss the subject,
    perhaps you can answer the question I've asked a number of times
    regarding this, that nobody appears to be willing to answer:

    Q> What is so magical about having the CD's boot image being
    Q> a 1440k image when the standard specifies that the boot
    Q> image can also be 2880k in size?

    I can confirm that I've checked this out with both the systems I have
    access to that can boot off their CD drives, by burning a CD with a
    2880k boot image and seeing if they can boot off it. Both booted fine.

    However, I realise that a random sample of two computers is not firm
    proof that all such systems would be OK, hence my question...

    Best wishes from Riley.