    SubjectRe: 2.3 wish: integrate pcmcia into mainstream kernel
    On Wed, Jun 02, 1999 at 08:24:42PM -0700, David Hinds wrote:
    > I've invested a lot of effort in minimizing the need to customize
    > parameter files for individual machines, since this is responsible for
    > a large fraction of support issues. Believe me, every entry in the
    > HOWTO where I have to document a trick for some oddball laptop is
    > painful to me. But over time, the number of such tricks has gone
    > down, not up. Much of my effort has been mandated by the lack of
    > Plug&Play support in the Linux kernel, since most of these parameters
    > have to do with memory, IO, and interrupt resource tweaking.
    >
    > I ported the Linux PCMCIA package to BeOS last summer, and guess what,
    > they generally don't need to tweak special parameter files. They've
    > got kernel Plug&Play support.

    Yes, if we're talking about about difficulties at boot time, and how the
    everyday use of something differs from the boot time use of it, then the
    argument for including Plug & Play in the kernel just got very strong.

    As ugly as Plug & Play is, it certainly does work better when all of PNP
    is in the kernel. The existing support, which boils down to half a dozen
    drivers having slightly smarter detection routines, is nuts.

    And sure, you can put isapnptools on an initrd, and tool about trying to
    coax life out of your cards (heavens help a newbie doing this), but then
    you've just justified leaving pcmcia-cs in user space too.

    --
    Nathan Hand - Chirp Web Design - http://www.chirp.com.au/ - $e^{i\pi}+1 = 0$
    Phone: +61 2 6230 1871 Fax: +61 2 6230 4455 E-mail: nathanh@chirp.com.au