SubjectRe: The stability crisis
On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Aaron Lehmann wrote:

> I really wish I could report my oopses, but this is a production box and I
> can't just let it sit there while I write down an oops. The syslog
> doesn't catch the OOPS except for sometimes the first few lines. Uptime is
> very important to me, as you have probably noticed from my rant. I don't
> want to use a serial console becuase I don't have another machine in the
> vicinity of 20 feet that would be capable of easilly logging kernel
> messages.

They make really long serial cables... ;) You could always run a
phone line to it and hook up a modem too. :) I've found that on my production
machines logging the console info to a serial port is very, very useful. If
you need a machine w/ a serial port, I'll give you a 386. :)

> I've heard about a new patch that lets the kernel dump oopsen to a floppy,
> and I'll try it. It scares me that I might accidentally leave a floppy in
> the drive that actually has data.

Hrm, 2 floppy drives? They're not very expensive, but I can see
many possibilities where that isn't practical...

> As I said in a previous message to linux-kernel, I'd be happy to maintain
> a bug database if that would be within my realm of comprehension (I don't
> know very much about the kernel internals...).

I believe folks are currently internally doing this (Keeping their
own lists of bugs, basically), but I agree, it would be nice to have a
centralized repository for bugs. However, this can NOT cause developers to
have to spend excessive amounts of time dealing w/ it. One run by users
may be of some use, though linux-kernel archives are relatively good at that
in and of themselves...

If you're interested/willing to start up something where people can
easily come and log new bug reports and/or look up/search bug reports, I'd
say go for it. I'd suggest you talk w/ some of the big linux sites about it,
and just make sure someone isn't already trying to do something like this,
and possibly get them to provide links from their sites to your 'bug reporting'
site.

Basically, if you have a good idea, and it doesn't look like anyone
else is implementing it, talk to some folks, yes, but the best thing you can
do is give it a shot and get folks to critique it.

> The machine is a Cyrix 6x86MX (no SMP) running RedHat 5.1 with most of the
> packages at either 5.2 or 6.0 versions. MTRR is enabled in the kernel but
> I haven't used it for anything yet so I would assume that it is not
> causing problems. I don't run X. No quotas.
>

> [aaronl@vitelus aaronl]$ gcc --version
> egcs-2.91.66

cat /usr/src/linux/.config would also be useful I think. Assuming
you compile your own kernel.

Stephen

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.205 / U:0.356 seconds]