SubjectRe: The stability crisis
Date
> I'd be glad to maintain a list of known bugs in the current kernel
> versions, however I'm not sure it's a wise idea for me to voulenteer
> becuase I don't know very much about the linux kernel's internals. For
> example, I don't think I would be able to tell whether two oopses are the
> same bug.
>
> I think one of the kernel developers (Alan Cox?) rejected bugzilla for the
> kernel. Is a bug database going to be integrated into BitKeeper?

You're right that any human short of a kernel developer isn't going to
do a perfect job keeping a bug&oops list. But anything which lightens
the load of the bug-fixer is going to help. The bug database isn't
really the hard part; the hard part is getting good quality oopses
and/or good quality test programs which show the problem.

Most of the people complaining about 2.2's stability right now don't
have outstanding oopses and bug reports, just a bunch of crashes. Odds
are most of the oopses and bugs have gotten dropped on the floor, or
never got sent in...

-- greg

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.042 / U:0.176 seconds]