SubjectRe: [RFC] File flags handling - proposal for API.
On Sat, Jun 26, 1999 at 12:49:58AM -0400, Alexander Viro wrote:
> > > chflags(name, level, old, new) where level being either FL_VFS or
> > > FL_EXT2 or FL_UFS, etc. IOW, the scheme similar to setsockopt().
> >
> > Um, might there be a VFS already? As in "mount -t vfs..."?
>
> So they should make their namespace (if any) FL_V_WE_ARE_DUMB_POSERS_FS.
> And be roundly LARTed for letting marketdroids invent 'cute' names.

Heh. I know of a VFS. Acorn had a Video FS in, um, 1985. This is the
format the Domesday laserdiscs were written in. And I should be reunited
with my player in about 3 weeks time :-) This will be an adventure.

> > There are already at least 3 XFS filesystems. FL_GENERIC is
> > less likely to be a filesystem name.

I'm aware of three products called XFS, not three filesystems. But it's
not a name, it's a macro which expands to a number, so it's merely a
political issue.

--
Matthew Wilcox <willy@bofh.ai>
"Windows and MacOS are products, contrived by engineers in the service of