SubjectRe: FTP benchmark proposal
Jes Sorensen writes:

> Richard> Matthew Wilcox writes:
> >> Why do you suggest that? One gigabit network card is cheaper than
> >> 4 hundred megabit cards and provides more bandwidth. One of the
> >> reasons the Mindcraft benchmarketing exercise was so poor.
>
> Richard> It makes sense to be able to easily rig up a test bench which
> Richard> is being used to embarrass us. If we had had such a rig at
> Richard> the time of the original M$^WMindcraft tests, we could have
> Richard> fixed the problems by the second test. Flexibility in the
> Richard> test rig is highly desirable.
>
> We are talking about an ftp benchmark here to see if we can actually
> keep up with the FreeBSD guys - last I checked nobody from M$ had
> mentioned them in an ftp bench.

Yeah, sure. I realise that. But if resources are going to be put into
setting up a test bench, I'd hope that it's not too narrowly focussed.

The FreeBSD ftp results prompted Larry to promote the idea of a
"community" test bench. Let's see if we can expand the terms of
reference.

Are you suggesting that promoting a more flexible test bench is a bad
idea?

Regards,

Richard....

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.036 / U:0.612 seconds]