    SubjectRe: FTP benchmark proposal
    On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, David Luyer wrote:

    > > Larry McVoy wrote:
    > > > So I wouldn't worry too much about making the test realistic. if you
    > > > can set up a work load that has 6000 sockets going at the server in
    > > > parallel, I suspect that it will stress the server just fine. It's when
    > > > you try to do the load through a few sockets that all the timing enters
    > > > into the equation. Yeah, I'm sure the tests will have to be played
    > > > with a bit, but the first step is to just do it and see what we get.
    > > > I'll call VA tomorrow and see if they are interested. Red Hat is also
    > > > setting up such a lab on the East Coast.
    > >
    > > of course, with 6000 connections you can't just use one ftp daemon
    > > per connection.
    > I thought the 4192 process limit was gone with the latest kernels?

    IIRC the 4096 number comes from a limit in the hardware task
    switcher in x86 hardware, the kernel used several and ~ 4090 are left
    over for the system.

    First Law of System Requirements:
    "Anything is possible if you don't know what you're talking about..."

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.019 / U:11.940 seconds]