    SubjectRe: FTP benchmark proposal
    On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 04:42:59PM +0800, David Luyer wrote:
    > > Larry McVoy wrote:
    > > > So I wouldn't worry too much about making the test realistic. if you
    > > > can set up a work load that has 6000 sockets going at the server in
    > > > parallel, I suspect that it will stress the server just fine. It's when
    > > > you try to do the load through a few sockets that all the timing enters
    > > > into the equation. Yeah, I'm sure the tests will have to be played
    > > > with a bit, but the first step is to just do it and see what we get.
    > > > I'll call VA tomorrow and see if they are interested. Red Hat is also
    > > > setting up such a lab on the East Coast.
    > >
    > > of course, with 6000 connections you can't just use one ftp daemon
    > > per connection.
    > I thought the 4192 process limit was gone with the latest kernels?
    > Granted, you'd probably want to be using an ftp daemon which is quite efficient
    > (eg, internalizes 'ls'), and probably want to run a front-end cache which
    > serves multiple connections if possible, but doing it with 6000 processes
    > would be an interesting test of how Linux could handle such things. (hmm,
    > hopefully an ftp daemon which doesn't touch too much RAM in every process
    > too...)

    Sounds rather like hoser ftpd, brought to you by Zach `phhttpd' Brown
    (and others). There was a WIP on this at LinuxExpo and you can find it

    Matthew Wilcox <>
    "Windows and MacOS are products, contrived by engineers in the service of
    specific companies. Unix, by contrast, is not so much a product as it is a
    painstakingly compiled oral history of the hacker subculture." - N Stephenson

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.020 / U:1.560 seconds]