    SubjectRe: Improving the Unix API

    On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > As far as sysctl goes, FreeBSD deprecates the use of numbers for OIDs and
    > > has a string-based mechanism for exploring the sysctl tree.
    > So we are actually both going the same way. Linus with /proc/sys and his
    > official dislike of sysctl (Oh well I think sysctl using number spaces is the
    > right idea - like snmp is), and BSD going to names

    Yup. kernfs (we'ld also better keep it in a separate fs instead of
    cluttering procfs, but that's another story).

    OK, then. I've looked at it and it seems that strings will be easy to do
    (for new chflags, that is). For the time being I simply #define them to
    "vfs" and fs names - choosing decent names will wait until the thing will
    actually work ;-)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.020 / U:5.732 seconds]