SubjectRe: Perforamnce comparison between 2.3.8 and 2.2.10
On Sun, 27 Jun 1999, Rudolf Leitgeb wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jun 1999, you wrote:
> > Ehh.. Wasn't the main performance gain for the multi-processor systems? I
> > wasn't really awake when I read the thread, but that was something that
> > I remembered.
>
> Well, I run SMP and got the same results that Marc got. Evidently none
> of us was able to verify the supposedly massinve speed improvements
> with the 2.3.8 kernel. I personally rather find it out here on this
> mailing list than learn about it from Mindcraft ;-)
>
> One interesting point though: When I did the kernel compile tests under
> 2.3.8, I would not only get higher sys times, but also higher user
> times, which makes me wonder ...

i've also noticed that 2.3.8 is slower. but i think the problem is that
swapping hasn't been tuned properly for the new page cache logic -- this
results in more iterations through shrink_mmap(), where cached state gets
dropped. this will slow things down.

i also believe that a multithreaded page cache for file data won't help
much if the file system is still serialized :)

- Chuck Lever
--
corporate: <chuckl@netscape.com>
personal: <chucklever@netscape.net> or <cel@monkey.org>

The Linux Scalability project:
http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/linux-scalability/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.062 / U:1.020 seconds]