SubjectRe: ext2 deletion times..
On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, Matti Aarnio wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 27, 1999 at 03:18:37PM -0400, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:
> > Regarding the rm times for ext2:
> > I would appreciate if people told me why this idea is stupid:
> > - instead of storing pointers to individual blocks (as we do now)
> > - store a pointer to first block in a segment and count of blocks
> > in this segment. (or first and last block)
>
> Yes, this is known as "extent mapping"
> I did some analysis on the topic a while back, and got to a
> concolusion that aside of certain constantly (slowly) growing
> log files, most of my files in the system were under 6 extents.

People who run VMS systems become all too familiar with the
characteristics of extent mapping. Files-11 tends to cause
slowly-expanding files to wind up with lots of short extents if the
filesystem is nearing capacity. There's a healthy market for
defragmentation products in this space. No doubt this was one of the
things that prompted the development of Spiralog.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer mwood@IUPUI.Edu
A Brazil-nut is neatly packaged and tightly integrated. To turn it into