SubjectRe: Norton Utilities for Linux ?
Date
----- Original Message -----
From: Richard B. Johnson <root@chaos.analogic.com>
To: Marco Ermini <mail@markoer.org>
<linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
Sent: Monday, June 28, 1999 1:46 PM
Subject: Re: Norton Utilities for Linux ?

> On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, Marco Ermini wrote:
>
> > IMHO Linux simply don't not need this
> > kind of utility, because:
> >
> > 1) The system simply works as is. I.e, do
> > you need a defrag for ext2?
>
> One exists and I have used it.

But certainly EXT2 *don't need* it. I
never needed it. The fact that it
exists is just a confirmation about my
previous statement: all the tools you
need (and even the tools you *don't*
need!) already exists.

FAT and FAT32 (and NTFS too)
needs it. And good defrag are not
provided from Microsoft. And if you
want ir, you have to pay it. That's the
difference.

> > 2) A Unix-like system is highly configurable
> > and programmable per-se. Do you need
> > a special tool to schedule an operation at
> > a certain time?
>
> You don't need this and I don't need this, but think about the persons
> who are installing Linux as an Internet Communications tool instead
> of W$. They don't know anything about the inner workings of any OS.

Setting up a cron job it's not an operation
that needs to know the "inner working of the OS".
You just needs to change one or two configuration
files, and restart the service. As I said, if you
don't like to know how to hack this config
files, you may have a KDE or Gnome utility
that sets it for you (I'm sure it already exists).
And this could be applied to every aspect of
the Linux OS. IMHO GNU software already
provides everything Norton Utilities wants to
provide to Windows. As I said, you may want
to have a nice picture of a doctor with the
stethoscope listening on an animated disk
while Linux runs the checkdisk, but the
checkdisk *in se* already exists, and you
don't want to pay Symantec for it if it
already exists.

> I think a 'Peter Norton Utility' for Linux is a great idea and since
> Linux has now "arrived", somebody might ask Symantec about it.

Of course you could ask it to Symantec,
but I think it could be not worth to buy
something that GNU software already
provides. That's the difference, Windows
is not so configurable as GNU and don't
have all the tools that GNU provides
(and certainly Windows needs them,
much more than Linux).

Regards

Marco

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.082 / U:0.808 seconds]