SubjectRe: VFS event hooks
>>  the semantics that were being discussed were at the VFS level, and
>> poll is part of the implementation of a specific file system.
>
>If you're using a networked filesystem, and a file that you're interested in
>is changed by some other host, then the polling is definitely
>filesystem-specific, surely?

yes, and network filesystems in general are the best argument i can
think of for using poll. In fact, its hard to see how this could be
supported across NFS (or any networked file system) without using
poll(). The other mechanism (which I prefer for reasons that have been
pointed out by others) would have the feature that it did not require
that an application holds an fd for the files its interested in. If
we don't, no current network filesystem server in its right mind will
propagate any changes to us (where "us" is a host with no processes
holding the relevant fd).

so - i don't know.

--p

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.037 / U:0.704 seconds]