    SubjectRe: [RFC] File flags handling - proposal for API.
    Hi,

    how will such a 'directory which can be opened as file' behave compared to
    2.0?

    If a simple

    fp = open(<directory>, O_RDONLY)

    opens a default-file in <directory> instead of <directory> itself, then we
    have (at least compared to 2.0) a rather subtile change which may implies
    some severe security problems.

    At least in 2.0, you may open a directory and use the filehanlde you got later
    with fstat, fchown, fchmod. It would be rather bad if this will change.

    First you may need this to manipulate directories in a secure way.
    Second, most unixes will not have this "directory as file"-feature which means
    that a lot of application will not be prepared to handle it correct.

    Even if a directory must be marked with a flag, the security problem is still
    there.

    May I misunterstood this thread, in this case forget this mail and pardon me.
    If I didn't, I'm real curious how one will handle this case.

    Greetings

    Wolfgang Walter

    --
    Veni, Vidi, VISA: