SubjectRe: Research help needed

Something you may want to include is that submitting a bug isn't just
going to a web page, filling out a form and hoping they read it. I've
submitted one or two bugs and each time, the developer responsible
contacted me to verify the patch worked and let me know where it was
availble.

Robert

Thus spake David Lang (dlang@diginsite.com):

> check the archives of the list for the last couple of weeks, Alan Cox
> fixed a bug in ~7 hours IIRC
>
> David Lang
>
> On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
>
> > Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 12:14:27 -0400 (EDT)
> > From: Michael H. Warfield <mhw@wittsend.com>
> > To: Lou Grinzo <lgrinzo@stny.lrun.com>
> > Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> > Subject: Re: Research help needed
> >
> > Lou Grinzo enscribed thusly:
> >
> > > I'm currently working on a writing project that will discuss, among
> > > other things, the Linux kernel developers' reputation for fixing
> > > reported bugs very quickly.
> >
> > > Trying to nail down examples is a little harder than I expected.
> > > I would like to cite several concrete, verifiable examples, along the
> > > lines of, "on Feb. 10, 1999 a security bug was found in component
> > > X, and a fix was coded, tested, and made available on the Internet
> > > within 24 hours."
> >
> > Don't have dates off the top of my head but both "Ping 'O Death"
> > and "Teardrop" fall into that category.
> >
> > > I can't go into details, but this project is high enough profile that it
> > > could help Linux a lot to have this information included. This also
> > > means that citing a false example could do more harm to Linux than
> > > citing no examples at all, so anything I say has to be 100% accurate.
> >
> > > Pls. copy all responses to me at lgrinzo@stny.lrun.com
> >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> >

> > > Lou
> >

> > Mike
> > --
> > Michael H. Warfield | (770) 985-6132 | mhw@WittsEnd.com
> > (The Mad Wizard) | (770) 925-8248 | http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/
> > NIC whois: MHW9 | An optimist believes we live in the best of all
> > PGP Key: 0xDF1DD471 | possible worlds. A pessimist is sure of it!
> >

> > -
> >

> "If users are made to understand that the system administrator's job is to
> make computers run, and not to make them happy, they can, in fact, be made
> happy most of the time. If users are allowed to believe that the system
> administrator's job is to make them happy, they can, in fact, never be made
> happy."
> - -Paul Evans (as quoted by Barb Dijker in "Managing Support Staff", LISA '97)

> -

Robert L. Harris | Windows --
Senior System Administrator II | Proof Micro$oft has
at Great West Life. \_ a room full of monkeys.

http://www.orci.com/~nomad

DISCLAIMER:
These are MY OPINIONS ALONE. I speak for no-one else.

FYI:

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.035 / U:3.992 seconds]