SubjectRe: I think I have a memory leak in 2.3.x
On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jun 1999 14:03:51 -0700, Jay Thorne <>
> said:
> > What I cannot understand is where that memory could possibly have gone. Is
> > my test far too naive for words? Is there some mechanism that I do not
> > understand at work here?
> It could be lost in the dcache, inode cache, or slab cache. The dcache
> and slab cache will shrink themselves automatically on demand.

since i don't have the history that you and others here might have, can
you tell me why the inode cache is implemented so that it uses raw pages
and never shrinks? is it simply older than the slab cache implementation?
would there be any advantage to a re-implementation?

- Chuck Lever
corporate: <>
personal: <> or <>

The Linux Scalability project: