    SubjectA few questions.....
    I am considering writing a new feature for Linux.  Basically it would
    allow you to open arbitrary URLs with the open() call. Something like
    open("http://somehost/~somepage/foo.tar.gz", O_RDONLY)
    or
    open("ftp://somehome/foo.tar.gz", O_RDONLY)

    The question I have is would this be more effciently done in
    userspace(libc, etc...) or does this functionality belong in the kernel.
    I was thinking if I did go the kernel route having separate modules that
    could be loaded via kmod to handle various protocols. Another question is
    how would one do DNS lookups in the kernel?? I'd assume some callback to
    userspace to do the lookup. Also where would be the ideal place to put
    the hook into the kernel? Would it go in somewhere like sys_open() or
    elsewhere?

    Thanks,

    Aaron

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.024 / U:61.404 seconds]