    SubjectRe: 2.3.6 TCP stack bug
    On Mon, 21 Jun 1999, David S. Miller wrote:

    > Small outgoing packets to the pop3 server or to smtp servers seem
    > to work fine though -- it looks like the TCP stack is only able to
    > do one thing at a time and it processes stuff in LIFO order (or in
    > this case, FINO).
    >
    > Are you trying to do bulk transfers and "choppy" connections at the
    > same time? This is where PPP tends to break down, and one suggested
    > workaround is to explicitly set your tx queue length to some small
    > value at ifconfig up time (say "4"), this makes congestion control
    > kick in much faster in these kinds of connection loads. You will then
    > see that load is spread out more evenly and connections make equal
    > progress.

    OK. I'll try different things and document them for the
    linuxperf site so that others can learn from it. I'm
    also downloading a new netbase package since ifconfig 1.46
    doesn't seem to know about txqueuelen :)

    Btw, are the net gurus working on improving the worst-case
    default behaviour of the Linux networking code? In this
    case workarounds are needed to get regular work done, this
    just isn't the Right Thing :(

    regards,

    Rik -- Open Source: you deserve to be in control of your data.