Subjectfsck is dead (was: Some very thought-provoking ...)
Date
>From: Malcolm Beattie <mbeattie@sable.ox.ac.uk>
>Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 15:55:51 +0100 (BST)

>Pavel Machek writes:
>> Or 3 hours of power fault and 3 hours of fsck... Which is exactly what
>> happens on ~100Gig disks.
>
>Please don't guess/exaggerate: I've already posted fsck benchmark
>times to this mailing list a month ago. In particular, fsck for a
>43 GB ext2 filesystem (4K blocks) with 30 GB in use took 13 minutes.

I heard one interesting presentation by John Mashey which basically
maintains that the capacity of disks increases its growth rate and
grows faster than the disk interconnect speed and faster than CPU
speeds. Disk capacities reached rate of 60% per annum.

So in the long run you will not be able to do traditional fsck
which scans a volume, which is O(capacity). Journal commit, which
is O(outstaning_data_size) may be done if we constrain journal size
growth rate. May be I am getting something wrong but this is how
I see things.

Pavel sounds non-scientific and guesses perhaps. But strangely enough
he got it right. We are going to see 144GB disks in two years time.

--Pete

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.047 / U:0.164 seconds]